This drink is a very simple variation on a Tom Collins. The Cognac adds just a bit of richness, and rounds out the botanical flavors of the gin. It is perfect for the summer or warm fall seasons we enjoy in Southern California.
- 1.5oz of London Dry Gin, such as Beefeater
- .5oz full bodied Cognac such as Pierre Ferrand 1840
- .75oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- .75oz simple syrup (1lb super-fine sugar diluted into 22oz warm water)
- 2-3oz club soda
- Lemon wedge and maraschino cherry for garnish
Combine the first four ingredients in a shaking tin. Shake very quickly with a few small pieces of ice. Add 2-3oz of club soda to the tin and swirl to integrate. Strain into Collins glass filled with ice. Serve with a straw and garnish with lemon wedge and cherry.
Max Seaman, General Manager, The Varnish