This stuff is flat out good ! rich in agave and smoked citrusâ€¦it would be a crime to mix a cocktail with this.
- 100% AGAVE ESPADĂŤN capĂłn (Angustifolia Haw)
- Mezcal Joven (unfiltered)
- 48.3% Alc. Vol.
- Double distilled in traditional copper stills
- Produced by Armando Hernandez Lorenzo
- Region: Santiago MatatlĂˇn, Oaxaca
- Altitude: 1,740 m or 5708.7 feet above sea level
- Harvest: March 15 2012
- La Nina del mezcal only Â uses the â€ścapĂłnâ€ť agave which have been matured in the estate for more than 10 years.
What is â€śreposado en campoâ€ť or matured in the estate?
When an agave plant has fully matured, after 8 to 25 years depending on the species, it develops a flowering stem about 6-12m tall. Agaves are monocarpic, meaning they die after flowering. In the EspadĂn fields of the Hernandez Estate, during cultivation, the agaveâ€™s flowering stalks will be trimmed as soon as they begin to appear. The trimming of the stalks prevents the agave from dying early and allows it to fully ripen at the base. After the flower stalk is trimmed, all of the sugars that were produced in preparation for flowering will remain at the center or â€śpiĂ±aâ€ť of the agave. The agaves will remain in the estate for approximately 2 more years before being harvested, allowing the piĂ±as to be fully matured.
1. Roast â€“ the piĂ±as are cut in 4 to 8 pieces depending on the size and they are cooked in a traditional conic stonlined oven, fueled by mesquite and Encino Wood.
2. Crushing â€“ the cooked piĂ±as are crushed in the Tahona, which is pulled by Wendy (horse) to obtain the juices and bagaso for fermentation.
3. Fermentation â€“ the juices and bagaso of the piĂ±as are fermented in wooden vats made from pine wood. The fermentation is 100% natural (only the yeasts that are found in the environment are used). The water used for the fermentation process is brought from Mitla.
4. Distillation â€“ the fermented bagaso is placed in the traditional copper stills to separate the water from alcohol. The mezcal is distilled twice until a pure spirit is obtained, capturing the citrus and fruity aromas that characterize the agave Espadin.
Raul Yrastorza, Las Perlas, GM