The puro cocktail is the cocktail of choice of our staff here at Las Perlas. We call it “a big boy cocktail”.
We prefer that you use one of the two suggested brands of mezcal for this cocktail.
Del Maguey Minero Mezcal
This forgotten mezcal from Del Maguey is amazing and its style is unique to others made outside of the area of Minas. While other Mezcals use a still made of copper and use rubber tubing, Minero uses a clay still with bamboo tubing to extract the mezcal from the still. The clay and bamboo help create a mezcal with a wonderful fruitiness to go a long with the slight smoke in the background. Minero™ has a nose full of flower essence, vanilla, figs, with a burnt honey flavor and a bit of lemon. Minero is deep and warm, sweet all the way to the finish.
Fidencio Madrecuixe Mezcal
Is a low yield, wild agave, foraged in the mountains of San Baltazar Guelavila. The agave is harvested after 12 years, and roasted five days in the ground with black oak. Double distilled and bottled undiluted, Joven (unaged). The nose is mineral and floral. The smoke is bold which is balanced with firm, mouthwatering acidity with notes of toffee and stone. The mouth feel is unctuous and leathery. The finish is long and dry. This is a full bodied, complex sipper.
- 2oz Del Maguey Minero
- 2oz Fidencio Madrecuixe
- 1 Old Fashion Glass
- Muddle 1 Bitter Truth Chocolate Mole bitters soaked sugar cube w/ a small splash of water
- Ice (preferably a single large cube that fits the glassware)
- Stir until cold and to taste
- 1 grapefruit twist (do not stir into cocktail, just twist to extract oil and lay down the inside of cocktail)
- Garnish with a mezcal infused (optional) Luxardo cheery or just a regualr Luxardo Cherry
Las Perlas- Mezcal and Tequila